Thursday, December 11, 2014

Get Lost to be Found

     Hello fellow vagabonds! Sorry I haven't posted in the past few weeks, the rush of midterms and the homestretch of the semester has gotten the best of me but no worries, I'm back in the swing of travel, leisure and things alike. I think many of you guys can relate to a mid-college crisis, so let's talk travel, life and getting lost.

      Lately, I've been thinking, is a mid-college crisis a thing? The answer is yes, or well, that's what I believe. 

     Throughout high school I was set on my life plan for the next 10 years. I took all of the classes I needed to, allied health, AP classes for biology and chemistry and I even volunteered at hospitals. Back then, I wanted to be a nurse. So as I sent all my of college applications, I would declare my major as nursing. I got accepted into the nursing program at William Paterson University and last minute, I switched to undeclared. My parents thought I was nuts and for a while, I thought I was too. After a semester, I declared myself as a public relations and journalism major. It was a total 180 turn. 

     All I knew was school and school was something I was good at. I was going through a self-epiphany phase and I still am! 

     So, I decided to look back to the last time I was happiest, no worries or deadlines. I reminisced the summer before junior year in high school when I went to Germany, Austria and Switzerland. At that time I was in my fourth year of taking German classes and so I packed my bags with a few classmates and Frau and boarded a plane to the first stop, Vienna!

    I learned a lot about myself, about the things that I enjoy, the things I don't but most importantly the things that I want to be a part of my life. That was the first time I put myself in a place outside my comfort zone. I was placed in a new culture and it brought a new insight to life. 

    You would think that by the time you reach your senior year in college, you would have things planned for your future, wrong! If only it was that easy. I still find myself doubting decisions, but everything happens for a reason and unexpectedly. Travelling is more than just sight-seeing or bragging rights. Travelling is about putting yourself out there in hopes to find another missing piece of yourself. That's why I love travelling. 

     Think of it as a life-long scavenger hunt. Each leads you to the next clue. 

     Sometimes the best way to figure out what you like and what you don't like is to just pack up your bags and go. Living a routine life gets stagnant, so, change the pace up and travel somewhere bold. 

     My advice if you're feeling a little lost? Get lost to be found.

     Experience different cultures, get lost in the moment and in the end find a little piece of yourself. 


     Coming up next on The College Vagabond, "Travelling in Toronto!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment